GP amp draw

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again :)

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but does anyone know what the approximate amp draw for each glow plug is?

I'm switching to bullet-type GP's and need to re-do the wiring (actually, bad wiring is why I'm switching over :)), and am trying to figure out what gauge wire to use...I'm probably going to run an individual wire to each plug; not sure if I'm going to try and have them combine somewhere and have two larger wires go to the GP relay, or if I'll just run all 8 wires to the relay...

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
Some one correct me if i am using the wrong resistance value. the formula is E/R=I, E=12 volts, R=about 1 ohm then I=12 amps unless the controller limits the current draw. Just guessing the wires in the truck are 16 guage maybe 14.

Dave

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep you got Ohm's Law correct. Voltage over Resistance equals current. Just also remember we are dealing with Kirchoff's Current Law as well which says that all current flowing from a node has to be equal to all the current flowing in the node. Basically it means that if we are flowing 12 amps to each glow plug then and we have 4 glow plugs per wire then we have to add all the current up 12amps*8 glow plugs=96amps per bank and there are 2 banks for a total system current of 192 amps. Now also keep in mind that this current is not on for very long that is why we can get away with using slightly smaller wire than required for on times that are lengthy.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Yep you got Ohm's Law correct. Voltage over Resistance equals current. Just also remember we are dealing with Kirchoff's Current Law as well which says that all current flowing from a node has to be equal to all the current flowing in the node. Basically it means that if we are flowing 12 amps to each glow plug then and we have 4 glow plugs per wire then we have to add all the current up 12amps*8 glow plugs=96amps per bank and there are 2 banks for a total system current of 192 amps. Now also keep in mind that this current is not on for very long that is why we can get away with using slightly smaller wire than required for on times that are lengthy.

WOW you have 8 glow plugs per bank!:rolleyes: LOL LOL LOL

Better check your math argve

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Good catch... as you can tell it was late at night for me and I must have been pretty tired at the time. Sort of like I am now... it's time for bed...