DAMMIT!!!!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I'll make this quick and painless....truck in my sig, accurate milage in my sig too. E4od overdrive light blinking and HARD shifts!! I mean HARD shifts. BigRigTech has a friend with a scanner, so I am going to try and fix this before it blows a gasket..

..On the off chance that this transmission needs serious $$, I will be putting a 5 or 6 speed into the truck. What year trucks can I pull a transmission from and have it fit my 1993 F250 IDI NON turbo.

I realize that I wil need a 4wd transmission, unless I pull one from an Fsuperduty with the transmission mounted E-brake.

Will a 6 speed from a new ford truck fit? Will I have to cut and weld the crap out of my floor and crossmembers?

And can I use both the ZF 42/47's or does it have to be one or the other specifically? I was under the understanding that both transmissions were the same casings.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I should also add that I gave BigRigTech a gas smallblock version of a 1992 E4OD that worked like a top. He said If I needed Parts it was there....can I rob parts out of that housing to fir my 1993 diesel housing?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think you can scavenge 1st gen PSD ZF5's, but you cannot use the ZF6 speed. Too many differences. One guy did it (Jaybee) but he's an engineer with access to lots of machine equipment and what have you. It was a big hairy deal to get it on IIRC. No real advatage over a ZF5.....all you really gain is a granny gear.

Heath

sassyrel

Reaction score
I should also add that I gave BigRigTech a gas smallblock version of a 1992 E4OD that worked like a top. He said If I needed Parts it was there....can I rob parts out of that housing to fir my 1993 diesel housing?
theres very few parts out of that gas trans you want--the diesel has heavier parts,esp in the later years when they had more updates in em--

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not sure if my problem is the same as the two forums there, but i appricaite the posts. My tack isn't hopping around, it's stable and accurate. It doesn't seem to go into limp mode, when I hit it froma stop all the power is right there. I have all 4 gears, none of them slip but when it shifts it SHIFTS. I thought I was going to break a U joint. I checked my fluid and it's clean and not burnt, no leaks. the weather around here this past two weeks had been in the high 30's to 40's (celcuis, or 85 - 105 F.) with no rain at all. I know the plug isn't wet, but I am still going to take it apart and clean it up. I found a diesel E4OD on Kijiji out of a 2wd cube van with a diesel for $200 with a semi fresh rebuild (about 30 000 kms), if I need parts, should I look into this for parts? It may make it to my garage at that price anyways even though the 2wd case and tailshaft are different

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2wd case is the same it's the output shaft that is different. Of course that's the part that's last to come out and first to go in. But that's an excellent trans for parts. Hopefully it has a torque converter with it.
Check with the scanner first. Maybe a solenoid failed and is the cause of your banging shifts. And that's an easy fix.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
how easy is easy? Two days ago the boss said that replacing a throughshaft on an Eaton 40 rearend was an easy job....3 hours later and one ruined greasy t shirt and I had it fixed....but it wasn't that easy. Its it as easy as pulling the pan, changing the colonoid, putting a fresh filter kit in it and buttoning it all up again?./.....providing that that is the problem.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally yes. A solenoid should be accessible without removing the trans unless you're messing with a fwd trans such as an axod-e

sassyrel

Reaction score
how easy is easy? Two days ago the boss said that replacing a throughshaft on an Eaton 40 rearend was an easy job....3 hours later and one ruined greasy t shirt and I had it fixed....but it wasn't that easy. Its it as easy as pulling the pan, changing the colonoid, putting a fresh filter kit in it and buttoning it all up again?./.....providing that that is the problem.

yep--about that easy--but, get a scanner on it, so you know which solenoid is funky--or youll just be shooting in the dark--you said clean the connections--cool--also get the filp set properly---

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FILP? all this electronic stuff is really confusing the hell outta me....whynot just leave the E4OD as a mechanical like the C6? lol

I think we all say that but between the feds wanting more fuel eonomy and that manufacturer wanting their dealers to earn more on repairs we get shafted.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my mlp and throttle pos. sensor on my 93, hard shifts too,almost snaps my neck,mine was the torque convertor slipping,and some other things with the brace and pump. it is going to the shop tommorow, the guy said 700.00 should do it with beefed up parts

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the E4OD and think its a good transmission, but the limp mode is one of the worst idea ford ever came up with. Talk about the cure being worse than the disease! I wonder if theres a way to kill the limp mode feature completely.

What fault codes have you pulled so far?